Archive for the ‘brake lines’ Tag

Type 65 Coupe Update: Some Air Conditioner Work, Re-Installing the Firewall and Red Brake Lines   Leave a comment

Not much to report on the Type 65 Coupe Project. I have been doing a lot of other things over the last few weeks. The heat has been making me lazy.

I decided to do some work on the A/C unit for the Coupe. I cut and chopped the housing cover for several hours, and then decided it might be easier to just make a whole new cover using fiberglass and resin. . . . I did some research on composites, epoxy resins, fiberglass and boat repair, and lost-foam casting. Interestingly, I am doing the same research for some stuff at work. I will try my hand at making a custom duct for the A/C unit. I have a layout in my mind, but there are a lot more things that need to go behind the dash panel besides the A/C ducts. The new cover/duct will have to make several 90- and 180-degree bends. I hope to avoid the use of too many fittings by making a single duct/top cover for the A/C unit. Maybe it should be called a “manifold” instead.

Here are some pictures of the air conditioner and the “dry fit” of where it will mount.

IMG_0597 wayne yoshida Coupe AC 2

IMG_0599 wayne yoshida Coupe AC 3


I also re-installed the firewall. I had to take it off and re-paint it with a higher quality silver paint. I do not have pictures of this, but it does look better than before. The paint is “harder” than the other paint I used.

Next, I removed the “bad” brake hoses originally from the Complete Kit and replaced them with the proper red hose from the third technical bulletin from Factory Five Racing. This is the hose going from the reservoir to the master cylinders. The new hose is much softer and easily slipped over the fittings. I hope they won’t leak. We will find out soon when I fill and bleed the system.

IMG_0600 wayne yoshida Coupe - BAD brake lines1


IMG_0601 wayne yoshida Coupe - band brake lines2


IMG_0603 wayne yoshida new red brake lines 1

I also started to look at engine hoist options – I want to drop the engine in SOON!



Type 65 Coupe Update: Brake Line Mock-Up   Leave a comment

For some reason, things on the Coupe take much longer than I expect. I decided to practice running the brake lines today. I used some scrap number 12 wire, cut into five-foot lengths. The copper wire is much more flexible than the brake lines, but at least I can do a mock-up before I bend the real thing.

I am using the “FFR Type 65 Coupe build site,” by cbergquist1 on as a reference – click here to see Chris’ section on brake lines.

Just like Chris, I drilled and tapped holes for screws to mount the flex brake line mounts. I used 8-32 stainless steel button head screws. The Allen heads almost look like rivets.

Here are some pictures of my front brake line mock-up. . .

kh6wz-brake-line-mockup 001

This is something weird. One of the mounting holes was not punched out. I used an automatci center punch to knock the slug out.

This is something weird. One of the mounting holes (on the left) was not punched out. I used an automatic center punch to knock the slug out.

kh6wz-brake-line-mockup 004

kh6wz-brake-line-mockup 005

kh6wz-brake-line-mockup 006

kh6wz-brake-line-mockup 007

I took a time out to modify some monitor stand mounts for my office computer. The mounts were designed by monkeys, since they are useless and cannot be used out of the box. Actually, I should edit that statement, since I am not sure if the monitors or the monitor stands are wrong. In any case, some substantial cutting had to be done with my Dremel tool. I should have taken “before” and “after” pictures, but I wasn’t thinking. Here is a picture of the after-cutting operation. . . .

kh6wz-stand 001